Thursday, October 26, 2006

A moving post

Remember back in the day, when grandma had to have her prune juice and grandpa swore by his Colon Blow? Simple dietary adjustments would make your day, well, more regular.
I received a frantic call from my parents, who were more than a little freaked out by mom's new prescription for m!ralax. "Julie!" they said. "It's made out of plastic!"
Wha?
Yes, the container is shatterproof, I assured them.
"No, you don't understand! Polyethylene glycol! That's plastic!"
Followed by a five-minute tirade about how they didn't think that drinking a toxic substance would help matters all that much, and if it really was recommended, couldn't she just gnaw on some Tupperware or something?
I vehemently hated chemistry, so with my meager body of knowledge, I expressed a doubt that they were, indeed, about to ingest plastic. At least not in it's final form, that is. Besides, I've read that my all-time favorite drink ever carries PEG in its ingredient list.
(I love you, Dr. Pepper!)
So it was with great interest that my sleuthing led to learning all about polymers and polyethers, and the miracle of lubes and G0lytely. I feel well informed and light of spirit.
Mom, may the force be with you.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is cute! At least they called to discuss it and you were able to reassure them. I have encountered situations where somebody didn't know how to use a particular med or something--and then did it incorrectly, resulting in negative... er..consequences.

27 October, 2006 10:59  
Blogger Mother Jones RN said...

Isn't it great being the family nurse. I get a lot of calls and e-mail from family members about those kind of things. Your mom sounds cute.

MJ

27 October, 2006 19:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your reference to Colon Blow made me laugh, and think about my own post from yesterday. Come by my blog and check it out

16 November, 2006 17:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home