Tuesday, February 06, 2007

A feel-good post

I love my job. All my groaning about the little things that irritate me are merely a way to vent some steam. And we all need that from time to time, don't we?
I love my boss. My nurse manager is an absolute god-send, and if I could send her roses every day, I would. I mean that sincerely. We all love her.
I have worked at some pretty shitty places in my life. I can count on one hand the number of employers I have had that made me want to show up every day. Three, to be exact. It's a shame that during a nursing shortage/crisis that more organizations don't take a look at how they treat their staff. But this post is about greatness, so I'll go back to my happy place.
Currently, we are faced with a new nurse who recently resigned. There are many reasons for her departure, and concessions were discussed before she ultimately made her decision. We are sad to see her go. Besides feeling like we didn't keep her happy, we are also trying to juggle scheduling around as a result.
As you may have noticed from my previous posts, this is a tough job to do day in, day out. Not a lot of people can work in psych. Tensions sometimes run pretty high, and that fact is not lost on my NM. She stated in a recent staff meeting that morale seemed low. We, her loyal charges, didn't immediately agree. We thought we were doing well, and things were running smoothly. She, however, managed to pick up on little subtleties that suggested otherwise. And perhaps she's right.
I can't speak for my cohorts regarding their possible perks, but I am just tickled about the 1:1 we had the other day. For starters, she chose me to attend an upcoming conference. She also commended my effort and abilities, and soothed my frazzled nerves with compliments and encouragement that made me feel like a good investment rather than just a warm body to meet staffing regulations. Everyone needs a little ego stroking now and then, am I right?
She has given me confidence and added some fuel to the spark under my long-term goals. I think, after my son graduates this spring, I will start working towards my next degree - with tuition reimbursement and an extended contract, of course. If she believes in me, then I can, too! Warm + fuzzy = one happy nurse.

2 Comments:

Blogger ID Crossroads said...

That's great. People spend the majority of their day at work, they really shouldn't settle for something they don't like. Good for you.

07 February, 2007 01:43  
Blogger Nomad said...

What a great post, how very nice to be recognized and also to acknowlege goodness.

Wow...I learn this lesson everyday raising my kids... that a little goodness goes a loooooong way!!!

THANKS FOR THE REMINDER!!!

12 February, 2007 16:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home